Monday, October 19, 2009

Mum's Garden: Weed it and reap

Hello to everyone, I hope you had a lovely weekend. We had such hot weather over the weekend and then this morning it sprinkled! Since the weather was so lovely it gave me the opportunity to do some weeding. I went around the front yard and the back and I pulled up more nasturtiums than weeds. My chooks really loved that as nasturtiums are their favourite thing. While I was weeding I noticed the bird bath tucked away happily in a corner of the garden. With so many native bushes and trees, after the birds have swooped down to all the flowers, they need a nice refreshing drink of water.

I have two bird baths around the yard and accompanied with the native shrubs, it really attracts the bird life. We don't have cats, so the birds have a free range of the yard. Our dog Max just stares at the birds, so they're laughing. I have even watched pigeons walk straight passed our dog and I think I heard them snicker to each other.


Another little treasure in our yard are these two birds. They are actually made out of cast iron and rotate away or to each other. You can also fill the little container up with water if you like. There are some lovely garden ornaments available these days and I'm always on the look out for something new. Oh after I weeded I just had to go to the nursery as well and bring home some portulacas and petunia's. I didn't want to, I needed to. They went in my front yard.
When I said the nasturtiums needed to get weeded, I really meant it. I love them so much and they bring such colour into your yard. They have grown up every possible object.
My husband and son Cory went go-karting this weekend, so I had the company of my oldest son Brandon. I managed to have lots of time to myself and that meant I gave the sewing machine a good caning. I finished up a few little bits that needed doing. I also made a start on my next knitting project and made ready the materials to make some little dolls. The doll with the button was made by a friend of mine and this has given me many different ideas to make other dolls.
Legs made from twigs out of the garden. My other little doll has beaded legs.
I cam across a funny heartwarming expression the other day. 'If they can send one man to the moon, why can't they send them all?' It was so funny to read, but I need my man......to shift things and stuff..OK.. and to talk to and share time with.

See you all in a couple of days. Take care. Kind regards, Anita

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Goodness you are a busy girl ! My petunias are going mad from last year 'cause I was too lazy to take them out , lol !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...