Sunday, December 13, 2009

Almost there!

The only gift is a
portion of thyself.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've almost finished all my christmas gathering and gift making. I'm glad to have been able to make as much as I have and the gifts are ready to go to their homes. In our hallway lives my lovely antique sewing machine with a few of my cloth dolls, especially made for christmas.

  I am now getting my needles out to make some jumpers and vests for the African babies drive. At special times of the year I tend to think about all those families and children that have so little and giving is such a priceless gift. I have a pattern below for anyone interested in making some jumpers. Once you have finished them they can be dropped off at your local hospital and they send them on.

LARGE JUMPER
Knitted all in one using 8ply knitting yarn and 4.5 needles. Lots of bright colours and stripes. Any colour can be used.

Cast on 70 sts.
Work 18 rows K2, P2 rib.
Work 48 rows in stocking stitch.
Cast on 40 sts at beginning of next two rows for sleeves.
Work 30 rows. Changing to K2, P2 for the originial 70 stitches and either garter or stocking stitch for the 40 stitches for the sleeve.
Rib 55 cast off 40 stitches, rib 55.
Rib 55, cast on 40 stitches, rib 55...(This forms the neck opening).
Work 30 rows, the same as you did before.
Cast off 40 stitches at beginning of next 2 rows.
Work 48 rows in stocking stitch.
Work 18 rows in K2, P2 rib.
Cast off and sew up side seams and under arms.

Some more of the hand made toys living in my library, below a family of cats. I wondered if the eyes might scare some of the children or not, but the cat family is loved by all who carry them around. In fact the eyes are what the children have fallen for. I laugh at how the toys are set up all over the library. 


I had some scrap bright material left over and made this dolls dress out of it. I got very excited about finding the bright bits of wool too. That was found at one of my favourite op shops.


The pattern for the sheep is in an older edition of Handmade, that lovely Heather let me use. There are 2 sheep floating around the library and both much loved by the kids. Oh the bright pink chair below isn't hand made, but was purchased for $1 at .....you got it ...the op shop. A good wash and dry, came up a treat.

The knitted rabbit was fun to make and so was the cat. But you know, the cat has the kids baffled abit. They always mention, that the cat isn't finished off yet, he has no mouth. Aren't they the cutest? I found the patterns in library books I had out once.

I'm off now to do some housework, give the garden a good water, as the forecast is for 41 C today. A typical summer day where we live. Usually very high 30's are the order of the day around here. The birds don't like it much, but I always squirt them down during the day. They love that. Hoping to catch up with my much loved sister-in-law Lee, always good for a laugh. Had a great long phone call with my friend Di last night (Piepie) as she is affectionately known. Cory has had one of his friends sleepover, so the weekend has been very pleasant. Darling hubby starting work a bit later today, so I'll follow him around a bit before he goes to work. Brandon has surfaced a couple of times for eat and drink. Typical teenager.

A lovely weekend to one and all. Kind regards, Anita. 
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...